CHARLOTTE, N.C. - April 19, 2022 - Truist Financial Corporation and UNC Charlotte are partnering to support student success and workforce development for the Charlotte region and beyond. Through a $5.3 million investment by the bank, the University will launch the Truist Institute for Student Success.
“We are grateful to Truist for their investment in our University and recognition of the transformative power of a Charlotte education,” said Chancellor Sharon L. Gaber. “Together, we are offering life-changing experiences and furnishing students with the tools and knowledge necessary to build successful, meaningful lives and careers.”
The University recently launched a 10-year strategic plan, “Shaping What’s Next,” that emphasizes the importance of educational opportunity and excellence; top-tier research and creative discovery; positive impact on the community – locally and globally; and equity and engagement.
“Truist’s partnership with UNC Charlotte on education, research and career development opportunities for the University’s students is a clear manifestation of our purpose to inspire and build better lives and communities,” said Bill Rogers, chairman and chief executive officer of Truist Financial Corporation. “We’re honored to work with Chancellor Gaber and the entire UNC Charlotte community to foster a pipeline of globally competitive leaders, and in doing so, enrich the community in Charlotte and enhance workforce development in North Carolina and beyond.”
The Truist Institute for Student Success focuses on three primary areas:
Scholarships, Experiential Learning and Leadership Development
- The Truist Scholars Program will provide historically excluded students with demonstrated financial need a four-year renewable scholarship, helping make the goal of a college education more attainable and affordable.
- The Truist Student Accelerator Program is uniquely designed to offer undergraduate and graduate students with demonstrated financial need full tuition and fees and a guaranteed internship with the bank, providing practical, applied experience to enhance classroom instruction. Additionally, they will establish the Truist Innovation Center in the PORTAL building to provide creative collaboration space for program participants, Truist team members and University faculty and staff.
- The Truist Leadership Development Experience will support opportunities for students in the Forty-Niner Intensive Transition Program, designed to help first-generation and historically excluded students have a successful acclimation to college life while developing skills to help them become leaders in their communities.
Research and Discovery
- The Truist Business Innovation and Research Program will fund year-long research projects for teams of faculty, graduate and undergraduate students that will be presented during a yearly symposium to share their gained knowledge with others. This investment supports the scholarly mission of the University and will help address challenges facing the business community.
- Truist will also sponsor two data science conferences at the University. The Analytics Frontiers Conference and the Women in Data Science Conference will bring the brightest minds from different industries and academia to Charlotte to collaborate and share ideas around cutting-edge research and the future of the field.
Charlotte Athletics and Student-Athlete Support
- As the official bank of Charlotte Athletics, Truist will support Charlotte’s student-athletes, ensuring they have the resources to thrive on and off the field. This includes the sponsorship of the United in GOLD program, which provides mental health, financial literacy, career readiness and mentoring services to members of Charlotte 49ers athletics teams.
About UNC Charlotte:
UNC Charlotte is North Carolina’s urban research university. With an enrollment of nearly 30,500 students, the University leverages its location in the state’s largest city to offer internationally competitive programs of research and creative activity, exemplary undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs, and a focused set of community engagement initiatives.
Truist Financial Corporation is a purpose-driven financial services company committed to inspiring and building better lives and communities. Truist has leading market share in many high-growth markets in the country. The company offers a wide range of services including retail, small business and commercial banking; asset management; capital markets; commercial real estate; corporate and institutional banking; insurance; mortgage; payments; specialized lending; and wealth management. Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Truist is a top 10 U.S. commercial bank with total assets of $544 billion as of March 31, 2022. Truist Bank, Member FDIC. Learn more at Truist.com.
Jason Vaughan, Media Relations Manager